Young Companion Close Up: 7 Unique Traits of Abdullah Ibn Abbas (RA)
From his background, actions & interactions – Abdullah exhibited unique personality & lifestyle traits; in addition to his great love and devotion to Prophet Muhammad (saw) and to the pure teachings of Islam.
Below are 7 of such traits attributable to Abdullah Ibn Abbas (RA).
1. Learning oriented. Abdullah (RA) was a keen learner who devoted his life to learning and seeking knowledge. In present times, it could be easily termed lifelong learning.
His diligence & commitment led him to excel in scholarship in many fields, in addition to memorisation of the Qur’an and Hadith.
2. Strong memory. He easily committed the Prophet’s words to his memory and went on to become one of the most learned Companions of Prophet Muhammad (saw).
He is said to have memorised about 1,660 hadiths – many of which are recorded in Saheeh al – Bukhari and Saheeh Muslim.
3. Positive attachment. He was known to be in constant company of Prophet (saw) like a special PA. They shared a mutual love for each other and evoked positive emotional bonding with each other.
4. Wisdom. Abdullah (RA) was born 3 years before migration to Madinah but became well known as wise and mature beyond his years.
This could be linked to the Prophet’s Du’a for him; He (saw) prayed for Abdullah saying ‘O Lord, make him acquire a deep understanding of the religion of Islam and instruct him in the meaning and interpretation of things’.
5. Service mentality. Abdullah (RA) served the Prophet (saw) in many ways as a young boy. He escorted him on journeys and expeditions and he prayed behind him.
He was also devoted in his service to him (saw) and performed it with excellence – without excuses or complaints.
6. Balance. He wasn’t only a learner and service giver, Abdullah (RA) was also an devoted worshipper and warrior. He was able to balance his personal life goals with those of the hereafter – through worship and serving the Prophet (SAW) & the Ummah.
7. Self discipline. Nothing short of self-disciple could have aided such a young boy to remain patiently focused on a straight and forward path.
He did not get distracted from his noble activities; instead he moved from one to the other tirelessly. This allowed him to accomplish a lot in a period of opportunity, because he was only 13 years old when Prophet Muhammad (saw) died.
However, he had seized that golden chance while his mentor – the Prophet (SAW) was alive, paying due attention to his words, actions & teachings.
His, was a fully hands on experience.
And now it’s your turn, what unique traits will you love to remembered for?