How to Boost your Spirituality: 30 Ideas for 30 Days
“Each one of you is constituted in the womb of the mother for forty days, and then he becomes a clot of thick blood for a similar period, and then a piece of flesh for a similar period. Then Allah sends an angel who is ordered to write four things. He is ordered to write down his deeds, his livelihood, his (date of) death, and whether he will be blessed or wretched (in religion). Then the soul is breathed into him…” (Bukhari)
Life gets busy but that’s no excuse to neglect your soul. After all it is your vehicle to the next life.
As such your soul needs adequate care and proper nourishment to remain healthy and ready for its great destination, agree?
Boosting your spirituality is about using your soul to help you achieve peace and happiness; and get through the trials of the worldly life.
True happiness comes from understanding and living Islam. It is a journey of continuous learning and striving.
In truly living Islam you will find peace, fulfilment and empowerment.
Life gets busy, but that’s no excuse to neglect your soul. You must actively seek to jump start your soul with the aim of attaining Jannah.
Here are 30 everyday ideas to boost your spirituality (spiritual self)
1. Say the recommended supplications (adkhaar) on waking up.
2. Thank Allah (swt) for blessing you with another day.
3. Make the intention to get closer to Him through your thoughts, words and deeds.
4. Pray salatul Fajr on time and pray 2 rakaats (units) before Fajr.
5. Read a page of the Quran and reflect on the meaning of the verses preferably in a language you understand.
6. Take one lesson from the Quran to implement in your affairs for the day.
7. Plan a righteous secret deed you will engage in, purely for Allah’s pleasure during the day.
8. Reflect on your life and how can you fulfil your true purpose in a better way today
9. Align with your fitrah; repeat La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammad Rasul Allah, sal Allahu alayhi wasallam, while pondering on the meaning.
10. Deal with others with humility and mercy (remembering that you need Allah’s Mercy too).
11. Perform your 5 obligatory prayers on time, with khushoo and having excellent wudhoo.
12. Let your eyes shed tears in the remembrance of Allah (swt).
13. Seek constant forgiveness for your errors and mistakes.
14. Share what you know of Islam, even its a verse with your family, friends, neighbours and colleagues.
15. Connect with those who remind you of Allah (swt) or those you love purely for the sake of Allah(swt).
16. Remember Allah (swt) much; while eating, traveling, studying or working.
17. Lower your gaze; occupy your senses with pure images and thoughts.
18. Give out of your time, wealth or skill especially from what you love most.
19. Be humble in your walk, talk and thoughts.
20. Fight your nafs.
21. Empty your heart of all grudges and instead focus on Allah (swt) ~ His Majesty, Mercy, Bounties ~ and the final meeting with Him.
22. Say your adkhaar and ponder if your soul is take away tonight; are you prepared to meet your Lord?
23. Wake up to perform at least 2 units of the night prayers.
24. Supplicate to Allah (swt) with sincerity, humility and determination – in small and big matters.
25. Strengthen ties of kinship by spending time with your family and loved ones.
26. Read biography of the Prophet (saw) and seek lessons for spiritual growth and fulfilment.
27. Reflect on all the positive things that happened during the day and record in your positivity journal.
28. Renew your intention to be a better Muslim tomorrow
29. Listen to some Qur’an recitation with the aim of bringing the Qur’an close to your heart.
30. Unplug from technology and social media.
There you go.
30 ideas for 30 days.
Ideas to help you nourish your soul and stay conscious of Allah (swt). So you can repeatedly flee to Him and seek closeness to Him.
Don’t just try out all of these ideas today or tomorrow only to quit the next day.
Pick just one or two and keep at it for at least 30 days.
You can boost your spirituality by caring for and nourishing your soul. When you do so, you will feel a greater connection with Allah (swt), strengthen your eeman in the process and purify yourself inside out.
You will also revive your soul, live a rewarding life and be among the righteous slaves of Allah (swt) in today’s busy world.
Ready to boost your spirituality?
Yalla, let’s get going.
Which of these ideas will you be trying out soon? And which do you act on already?